Betty L. Hunter,
The Marietta Confederate Cemetery
came into being in September of 1863. The first
burial was Dr. William H. Miller, a Confederate
surgeon from Kentucky. A few days later, soldiers
were brought to Marietta for burial after being killed
in a train collision in the area of Emerson, GA.
The city of Marietta acquired a little over two acres
from a man by the name of William Bosley for
soldier’s burials. It was not long until additional
property was needed and two plus acres were
purchased from Ann Moyer.
The last portion of the cemetery was a donation by Jane Porter Glover, the widow of the first
mayor of Marietta. Men who died around the battle of Chickamauga and whose bodies were
left around the battlefield area were interred in this section of the cemetery after the war. When
you visit here you will find over 3,000 graves from confederate states and including Kentucky,
Missouri, and Maryland.
Men who later died in the Old Soldier’s home in Atlanta after the war were the last burials with
the exception of one man. The Old Soldier’s home burials are all in marked graves.
The Ladies Memorial Association owned the cemetery and the Kennesaw Chapter of the
United Daughters of the Confederacy helped with its maintenance for a long time. The state of
Georgia took the various deeds and became the owner of the Marietta Confederate Cemetery
in August of 1906.
The cemetery is bounded on the South by the old historical Marietta City Cemetery and on the
North by Brown Park.
Brown Park is owned and maintained by the city of Marietta and makes a grand entrance into
the Confederate Cemetery.
The Marietta Confederate Cemetery Foundation and Friends of Brown Park, Inc. is committed
to the preservation of the cemetery and to honor the soldiers buried there. Our past fund
raising efforts have provided benches with sculptures for a walking tour through the cemetery.
Several statues grace Brown Park and the cemetery and granite walls list the names of the
known dead who lie in the Confederate Cemetery.
Tax deductible donations can be made to Friends of Brown Park, Inc.
(a 501(c)3) and designated for the Garden of Heroes Capital Campaign.
This cemetery became the first place in
the south where the Confederate flag was
allowed to fly.